Hands-free texting while driving would be banned under bill | News
SACRAMENTO, CA - A Bay Area Assemblyman wants to prohibit texting with hands-free mobile devices while driving.
California already bars texting with a hand-held electronic device while driving but permits the practice with voice-activated devices.
Assembly Bill 313, authored by Assem. Jim Fraser, D-Oakley, would essentially ban all texting while driving by outlawing voice-controlled devices, too.
The bill's language states there are no studies supporting texting with voice-activated or hand-held devices while driving as safe. It also says distracted driving was responsible in 3,300 deaths and more than 400,000 injuries nationally in 2011.
Upcoming Events near South Sacramento
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Railroad Museum Offers Monthly “Diesel Days” Beginning this Weekend!
- Sacramento climber blogs that he's safe on Everest after avalanche
- “Living History” Easter Bonnet Promenade & Spring Ball in Old Sac this Saturday!
- 5 Reasons to Attend the Sacramento Beer and Chili Festival
- Names of woman, boy killed in I-80 crashed released