5 pets killed in Sacramento house fire; 3 people displaced | News
SACRAMENTO, CA - Three people were displaced after their southeast Sacramento home caught fire Wednesday afternoon.
The fire happened around 3:10 p.m. on the 5200 block of Emerson Road and took crews 15 minutes to get under control, Sacramento City Fire Battalion Chief Scott Williams said.
The three adults - a woman, her son and a roommate - were inside when the fire started; they were able to get out of the home safely, suffering only minor smoke inhalation.
Williams said 12 animals were inside when the fire started - 7 dogs, 2 cats and 3 birds. All three birds, a dog and a cat where killed in the fire; three dogs and a cat were injured in the fire and taken in by animal control for treatment.
The fire damaged two bedrooms and a back patio of the house, making it unlivable for the three occupants. Williams said the Red Cross is helping the residents.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
Upcoming Events near South Sacramento
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Sign up now with a Spring Break Special on tuition
- Railroad Museum Offers Monthly “Diesel Days” Beginning this Weekend!
- Sacramento climber blogs that he's safe on Everest after avalanche
- “Living History” Easter Bonnet Promenade & Spring Ball in Old Sac this Saturday!
- 5 Reasons to Attend the Sacramento Beer and Chili Festival