Walmart picketed by disgruntled workers | News
PLACERVILLE, CA - The Walmart in Placerville was one of many Walmarts across the country where picketers demonstrated to bring attention to what they say are unfair labor practices.
Walmart employees and others carried signs and made their voices heard as part of a coordinated plan for 1,000 nonviolent demonstrations in 46 states. While the exact number remains unclear, Walmart shot down that figure, saying protestors have grossly exaggerated their numbers and insisted the protests involved few of its own employees.
At the Placerville store, workers called on Walmart to address low take-home pay and few work hours. Some protestors also complained about the early start of Black Friday sales that kept them from spending Thanksgiving with their families.
"I'm nervous, scared a little, but how much do you just keep on taking? said Walmart floor associate Barbara Andridge Collins. "Finally, you got to stand up for what's right.
The demonstrations appeared to do little to keep away shoppers. Walmart called today its best Black Friday ever.
Top South Sacramento Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Old City Cemetery Tour - Fraternal Orders, Secret Societies & Symbolism
- Nehemiah CEO Scott Syphax To Deliver Commencement Address at Drexel University in Sacramento
- Lively, Fun & Free, “Time Travel Weekends” Street Theater Resumes in Old Sacramento on June 29
- Sichuan Spice House - Orangevale
- Tasty Books: Chef Joanne Chang