Sacramento woman sentenced in sex trafficking | Crime
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) - A Sacramento woman convicted of trafficking teenage prostitutes in the San Francisco Bay area has been sentenced to nine years in prison.
Federal prosecutors say a judge issued the sentence against 22-year-old Helen Jean Singh on Wednesday. Singh pleaded guilty to sex trafficking conspiracy earlier this year.
She and her husband, Mike Singh, were accused of luring four teenage girls into prostitution by promising them money, drugs and a family environment. But prosecutors say the Singhs used force and threats to keep the girls working.
Mike Singh pleaded guilty to sex trafficking in January and also received a nine-year sentence.
Upcoming Events near South Sacramento
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Community Radio Studio Remodeled, Hope for New FM Station Soon
- Handmade Holiday Decor: DIY Faux Brass Himmeli Orb
- Help Elder Neighbors Connect to the Community
- East Sacramento Santa Adventure and Holiday Boutique—This will be a great event!
- Tips For Responding to the Draft Environmental Impact Report for McKinley Village
- First in US to be Accredited in Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery
- Sutter's Fort Presents Two Holiday & History-Related Events this Saturday, 12/14!
- 10 Gifts Under $10 for Kiddos
- Old Sac Underground Tours Offered for Two Weekends in December!
- Governor's Mansion Presents "Christmas Memories" 12/7 & 14!