Uncle charged with murder in infant nephew's death | Crime
SACRAMENTO - A Sacramento man arrested five days ago on suspicion of injuring his nephew, was formally charged with murder after the 5-month-old boy died on Tuesday.
According to Sacramento Police spokeswoman Michelle Gigante, Wendell James Taghap, 34, was originally arrested after the boy was admitted to hospital on October 31, and medical personnel discovered injuries consistent with abuse. Hospital personnel subsequently called police to report the incident.
Responding officers were informed by medical personnel that Taghap had been placed in charge of the boy while his mother was at work. When the mother returned from work, her son appeared to be napping on the couch so she let him sleep. However, when she checked on him later and found him unresponsive, she called 911 and the boy was transported to hospital, said Gigante.
Taghap was then located and arrested, said Gigante.
The boy remained in hospital through Tuesday when he succumbed to his injuries, Gigante said.
The examination into the child's death was turned over to a forensic pathologist at the Sacramento County Coroner's office.
Upcoming Events near South Sacramento
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Handmade Holiday Decor: DIY Faux Brass Himmeli Orb
- Help Elder Neighbors Connect to the Community
- East Sacramento Santa Adventure and Holiday Boutique—This will be a great event!
- Tips For Responding to the Draft Environmental Impact Report for McKinley Village
- Updates—41st and I Street Construction Projects
- First in US to be Accredited in Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery
- Sutter's Fort Presents Two Holiday & History-Related Events this Saturday, 12/14!
- 10 Gifts Under $10 for Kiddos
- Old Sac Underground Tours Offered for Two Weekends in December!
- Governor's Mansion Presents "Christmas Memories" 12/7 & 14!