Dog found dead inside stolen car on Sacramento street | Crime
SACRAMENTO, CA - A pit bull was found dead inside of an abandoned stolen car Friday morning.
Sacramento police officers found the stolen 4-door sedan near 25th Street and Yreka Avenue around 8:50 a.m.; inside, officers found a dead pit bull with a large chain around its neck, Officer Doug Morse said.
Sacramento City Animal Services were called to the scene to investigate possible animal cruelty.
Inside the car, the pit bull was chained in the front and a bowl of food and water was placed about a foot away from the dog. The dog was found by officers on the floor board in the back seat, traces of blood and droppings were also found inside.
Animal Services spokesperson Gina Knepp said the chain was too short for the pit bull to reach the food; they are investigating whether the dog died of heat exhaustion, starvation or injured himself with the chain.
Authorities have not found the dog's owner.
Upcoming Events near South Sacramento
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Weekend Train Rides & Old Sac Underground Tours Resume in April!
- California Nut Festival Announces Jay Veregge from Ten22 as Celebrity Chef!
- 2014 St. Patrick's Parade
- Center for Sacramento History Announces “Inside the Vault Textile Tours: Fabulous Footwear" in April
- Kick-Off Sacramento Beer Week with the Sacramento Brewers Showcase