Hidden Treasures & Unique Holiday Gift Ideas Await At Local Historic Parks & State Museums! | Arts & Culture
For those searching for unique gifts this holiday season, a wide and wonderful variety of specialty items can be found at local state museums and historic parks and offer a great way to support historic treasures at the same time. Outlined below is a sampling of holiday gift ideas and special items waiting to be discovered at popular destinations around the greater Sacramento region.
- 3-Park Pass -- Perfect for museum lovers, a Capital District 3-Park Pass is now available that offers a discounted admission price for three great experiences. In fact, the 3-Park Pass never expires and passes are available and honored for one visit, at up to three of the following parks: California State Railroad Museum, Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park, State Indian Museum, Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park and Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park. Passes are available at the participating park units.
- Annual Memberships -- For those wishing to give a rewarding gift that lasts all year long, museum memberships are a thoughtful gift idea. The California State Railroad Museum, Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park and Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park all offer annual memberships with different levels of participation that are administered by non-profit partners that assist in financially supporting the parks. Memberships are available by calling or visiting the individual park units.
California State Railroad Museum (916-323-9280, 916-324-4950 or www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org)
- “Rockwell + Rails Combo Tickets -- sure to please all ages, combo tickets are available for guests interested in visiting both the California State Railroad Museum and the “American Chronicles: The Art of Norman Rockwell” exhibition at the Crocker Art Museum through February 3, 2013. The “Rockwell + Rails” combo tickets make for great holiday gift ideas or festive holiday outings to experience with friends and family. The combo tickets are available at the front desk of either museum.
- Waiting For The Cars Book -- New to the Museum store, this visually-intriguing book features 218 photographs of the construction of the First Transcontinental Railroad presented as the photographer intended them to be seen -- in full 3D stereo -- and comes complete with 3D glasses.
- Polar Express Merchandise -- Of course, the Museum Store sells a vast array of popular Polar Express merchandise, all officially licensed by Warner Brothers and not available in general retail stores. Gift items include snow globes, lighted picture frames, ornaments, conductor's hats, toy locomotives, and more.
State Indian Museum (916-324-0971)
- Billy Mills Holiday Gift Pack -- Exclusive to the State Indian Museum, a special Billy Mills Holiday Gift Pack is available that includes: a signed copy of his book Lessons of a Lakota, a Running Brave DVD starring Robbie Benson, a Winning the Gold! DVD depicting the final moments of the run when Billy won in the 1964 Olympics in Tokyo, and a Winning! notecard by his wife and artist Pat Mills.
- Signed Native Literature -- Perfect for book lovers, the State Indian Museum Store offers the largest selection of California Native literature in Northern California. And, just in time for holiday gift giving, a limited number of signed books including We Were All Like Migrant Workers Here by William Bauer and Indian Voices: Listening to Native Americans by Alison Owings.
Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park (916-323-3047)
- California and State Parks Branded Merchandise -- Perfect for California lovers, the Governor’s Mansion SHP store has California branded merchandise such as mini flags, California bear mugs, t-shirts, books, pins and more. Plus, a variety of State Parks branded merchandise is available, too.
- Period Popular Jewelry -- Affordable yet tasteful costume jewelry (that represents the period of interpretation 1903-1967) is available in the Mansion store and includes necklaces, bracelets, brooches, pins and earrings. Great conversation pieces!
Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park (916-445-4422)
- Timeless Specialty Items -- Celebrate the simpler times at the new Sutter’s Fort Museum Store! Fort guests can choose from old fashioned chestnut roasters for your open fire, hand-crafted beeswax candles made on-site, quill and ink sets in beautiful wooden boxes, pewter ware and more!
Railtown 1897 State Historic Park (209-984-3953 or www.californiastaterailroadmuseum.org)
- When Steam Was King by Gerald French -- This eye-catching book is a best-seller at Railtown 1897 SHP in Jamestown. When Steam Was King is a photographic study of the Sierra Railroad, as well as three nearby railroads in the Central Mother Lode region of California.
The items listed above are merely a sampling of holiday gift items available now at the various museums and historic parks. No admission fee is necessary to browse through the various on-site stores. More information and hours for the various sites is available online at www.parks.ca.gov/CapitalDistrict.
About the Capital District State Museums and Historic Parks
The Capital District State Museums and Historic Parks encompasses seven State Historic Parks and Museums located within the Downtown and Midtown areas of California’s Capital City: California State Capitol Museum, California State Indian Museum, California State Railroad Museum, Governor’s Mansion State Historic Park, Leland Stanford Mansion State Historic Park, Old Sacramento State Historic Park and Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park. Additionally, two units are in outlying areas: the Woodland Opera House in Woodland, California; and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park located in Jamestown, in the heart of California’s Gold Country about 100 miles southeast of Sacramento. Collectively these facilities preserve and interpret the heritage of California’s Capital City, and illuminate the many forces that have shaped Sacramento and the Golden State.
Upcoming Events near South Sacramento
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Weekend Train Rides & Old Sac Underground Tours Resume in April!
- California Nut Festival Announces Jay Veregge from Ten22 as Celebrity Chef!
- 2014 St. Patrick's Parade
- Center for Sacramento History Announces “Inside the Vault Textile Tours: Fabulous Footwear" in April
- Kick-Off Sacramento Beer Week with the Sacramento Brewers Showcase